There’s a lot you can do to keep your teeth and gums healthy besides regular brushing and flossing, like eating the right foods. Here are some of the best foods to support your oral health, from the specialists in family dentistry in Montville, NJ.
- Apples: Eating an apple – a fruit high in water – helps stimulate saliva, which cleans your mouth of bacteria and food particles. They are also high in fiber and chewing on an apple stimulates your gums and scrubs your teeth lightly to brighten your smile. Other crunchy vegetables like carrots and celery will also work well.
- Cheese and yogurt: Dairy products are a fantastic source of calcium for your bones and teeth, helping to keep enamel and jawbones strong. It’s also rich in protein, which is key to healing well and keeping jaw muscles and gums healthy. Yogurt with live bacterial cultures is especially good at fighting the bad bacteria that collect in our mouths, preventing cavities and keeping your breath smelling fresh.
- Leafy greens: No health list is complete without spinach, kale, broccoli, beet greens and cabbage. These vegetables are the best source of calcium other than dairy and are important for vegan and vegetarian-based diets. They also contain folic acid, antioxidants and are rich in a wide range of vitamins and minerals, keeping your body healthy and fighting oral bacteria.
- Nuts: Almonds, cashews, walnuts and other raw nuts are very effective at boosting oral health. They are rich in omega-3s to strengthen tooth health and support healthy gum tissue, are high in protein as well as vitamins and minerals. However, it’s chewing the nuts themselves that has the biggest benefit for your oral health. Like with apples, chewing stimulates saliva that cleans away the harmful bacteria that damages your tooth enamel.
- Coconut: Coconut oil pulling has become a big trend in the USA and it’s not hard to see why. It’s got great antifungal and antiviral properties and is great for preventing tooth decay and bad breath, as well as helping tissue to heal faster. Simply swish a spoonful of coconut oil around your mouth for a few minutes then spit it out down the sink, just like you would with mouthwash.
Take Charge of Your Oral Health Through Preventative Hygiene – Speak to the Team at Our Family Dentistry Clinic in Montville NJ
As a family dental clinic, we offer children’s dental services, as well as catering to the needs of adults through our general and cosmetic dental services. In addition to dental exams and root canal therapy, we also offer Invisalign solutions, facial cosmetic treatments, sleep apnea and teeth whitening solutions. If you’d like to find out more about our Montville, NJ family dentistry practice or meet our staff, please contact us today or visit our website at http://www.cannilla.com/