More and more people are opting for implants over traditional removable dentures, but is this the right choice for your teeth? Here are the pros and cons from the specialists in family dentistry in Montville, NJ.
First, Let’s Talk About Dentures
Dentures have been used for many decades as a solution for missing or damaged teeth. The pros are:
- They’re more affordable than implants – in fact, they’re the most affordable tooth replacement option available.
- You can try them out first and decide if they’re the right option for you. The fit can also be adjusted for comfort as needed.
- The process for creating your dentures is non-invasive. There’s no surgery and, after measurements and molds are taken, all the work is done in a lab.
- If you damage your dentures or they break, they are easily repaired or replaced.
There are some cons, however:
- They don’t look completely natural.
- They require daily cleaning and maintenance.
- They can’t be worn overnight.
- They increase your risk of gum disease.
- You’ll need to replace them every 3-6 years.
- You will have to avoid foods that are very hard, crunchy or sticky.
- If lost, lose or damaged, you’ll have trouble eating and speaking.
- In certain circumstances, jaw bone density can deteriorate over time.
So, how do Dental Implants Compare?
Dental implants are a newer tooth replacement solution, and one that is gaining in popularity in the USA. Here are the pros:
- They are easy to care for using the same routine as your natural teeth.
- They look and feel like natural teeth.
- You can eat whatever food you like.
- They don’t impede your ability to speak naturally.
- Your gum and bone health is preserved because they act like natural teeth, and neighboring teeth are kept in good health too.
- They will last for decades or much more under proper care.
The cons are:
- They are a more expensive tooth replacement option – however, there is little maintenance cost and you are unlikely to need future dental procedures on these teeth.
- They are attached directly into the jaw bone, so it means undergoing a surgical procedure and fitment procedure. Cosmetic dentists will work with you, however, to make this as comfortable as possible.
Speak to Your Cosmetic Dentist in Montville NJ About the Best Tooth Replacement Options!
Looking for a cosmetic dentist in Montville, NJ? Our friendly and welcoming team is dedicated to your dental health as well as providing the best cosmetic dentistry solutions, including dentures and dental implants. If you would like more information on these or other cosmetic dentistry procedures, please contact us today, visit our family dentistry clinic in Montville, NJ or visit our website at http://www.cannilla.com/