Great oral hygiene begins at a young age, but it can be difficult to get kids engaged with healthy habits like tooth brushing. These oral health habits are an essential part of your child’s development, however, so try out some of these creative parenting tips from Dr. Cannilla, children’s dentist in Montville NJ, and put your child on the path to a lifetime of healthy, happy smiles.
- Get them involved: There’s nothing kids like more than participating in something grown up, so handing over some control can work wonders. It could be as simple as letting your child choose their own toothbrush or brushing their teeth in the grown-ups bathroom.
- Teach through technology: There are some great brush time apps out there for kids to enjoy from companies like Aquafresh and Oral-B. They combine catchy songs, games and tips that will help your child have fun while learning to brush their teeth correctly and for the right length of time.
- Create a rewarding routine: Unlike a bribe, a rewarding routine helps to make oral hygiene a regular ritual. Try to have tooth brushing part of your daily routine – first dinner, then bath, then pajamas, then brushing teeth – and follow it by something fun, like bedtime stories or a coloring in session.
- Create a points system: If you keep a little chore board where you reward your child with stickers for all their good daily deeds, then add tooth brushing to the list. Once your child has brushed their teeth properly, they get an exciting new sticker to put on the board. Once a big total has been reached, you can all enjoy a great reward, like an ice cream or day at the park with friends.
- Try new toothpastes: Does your child have a favorite cartoon character? Chances are that your drugstore carries toothpaste that features them! They also have lots of different flavors, so get ready to try a bunch of different ones to keep the novelty and excitement fresh.
Fun, Adventures and Healthy Smiles at our Children’s Dentistry Practice!
With two kids of his own, Dr. Anthony Cannilla is a kid’s dentist who knows just how important – and how challenging – children’s dentistry can be! With a team that loves children and is always happy to find new ways to make oral hygiene enjoyable for kids, our practice is always available to assist parents develop oral home care techniques as well as teach children the importance of healthy teeth.
While we generally treat children from 3 years old, we are a children’s dentistry practice and are available to assist parents of younger children. We pride ourselves on making visits to the dentist a fun and comfortable experience, using the latest in safe, state-of-the-art technology as well as fun activities to keep kids enjoying themselves – including a prize at the end of each visit for being such a great patient!
For more information on our kids dentistry practice or advice on oral health for kids from our pediatric dentist, please contact us today or visit our website at http://cannilla.com/